The Importance of the Fajr Prayer
- In the Qur’an, Allah Most High says: “So establish the Prayer after the declining of the sun [from its zenith, for Dhuhr and then Asr] to the dusk of night [Maghrib and then ‘Isha] and the [Quranic]recitation of Fajr [prayer]. Indeed, the [Quranic] recitation of Fajr is witnessed.” [al-Quran 17:78] The meaning of witnessed here means that both the angels of [previous] night and the angels of the [new] morning intently listen to the Fajr prayer being recited aloud because of its great status and virtue. [al-Suyuti, Tafsir al-Jalalayn]
- The Messenger of Allah (Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him) has said: “Whoever performs the Prayer before the rising of the sun [Fajr] and before its setting [‘Asr], will not enter the Hell.” [Muslim] and “Whoever prays the two cooler prayer times (i.e., Fajr and `Asr) will enter Paradise.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
- The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Give glad tidings to those who walk to the mosques in the dark, of perfect light on the Day of Resurrection.” 
- The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Angels come to you in succession, night and day, and they meet at Fajr prayer and ‘Asr prayer, then those who stayed among you overnight ascend and [Allaah] asks them – although He knows better about them – ‘How did you leave My slaves?’ and they say, ‘We left them when they were praying and we came to them when they were praying.’”
- The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whoever prays ‘Isha’ in congregation, it is as if he spent half the night in prayer, and whoever prays Fajr in congregation, it is as if he spent the whole night in prayer.”
Some Warnings About Missing the Fajr Prayer
- The Prophet [Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him] said:“The most burdensome prayers for the hypocrites are ‘Isha and Fajr [AM: because they prefer the comfort of sleep to prayer], but if they only knew what they contain, they would come even if they had to crawl.” [Ahmad]
- “Whoever prays the dawn prayer [Fajr], then He is under Allah’s protection. So beware, O son of Adam, that Allah doesn’t call you to account for being absent from His protection for any reason.” [Muslim]
- ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar said: “When we noticed that a man was not present at Fajr and ‘Isha’ prayer, we would think badly of him.”
Practical steps which help you wake up for fajr:
- One of the important reasons that can help you wake up for Fajir is having a good intention(Niyah). If you are honest with allah regarding waking up for Fajir, Allah would definitely help you.
- Setting multiple alarms out of one’s immediate reach (Nowadays, you can find flying Alarms and the only way to turn them off is by climbing which forces you to wake up). Amazon link here
- Sleep early. If from your experience you know by sleep after a specific hour you will never be able to wake up for Fajir, then scholars said it is haram for you to stay late behind that hour. i.e, You know if you sleep after 12 you will not be able to wake up, then it is haram to stay awake after 12.
- Dua'a, Dua'a, and Dua'a(supplications). Make a lot of Dua'a that allah would help you wake up for fajir. Again, depends on your Niyah. More honest = more help from Allah.
- If you know someone who wakes up for Fajir, ask him to call you or come by your house and knock on your door, or even have a robe tight to your legs and throw the other side of the robe through the window so he/she can grab it while leaving to the mosque.
- Read Athkar before you go to sleep. You can find these Athkar Here or in this youtube video.
- Perform Wudu before you sleep, A hadeeth was narrated to this effect, in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When you go to bed, do wudoo’ as for prayer.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 247; Muslim 2710).
- Filling the heart with the love for Fajir and the fear of missing it.
- The last one, YOUR SINS. I will leave you with this story to explain this point, "A man said to 'al-Hasan al-Basri': "O 'Abu Sa’eed', I sleep in good health, and I love to pray qiyaam al-layl(Night prayer), and I prepare water with which to purify myself, so why can I not get up?" 'Al-Hasan' said: "Your sins are restricting you.” He said, may Allaah have mercy on him, "The slave who commits a sin will be denied the opportunity to pray qiyaam at night and to fast during the day."
Final Note: One accidentally misses Fajr however, while they should feel regretful, they should never feel despair and hopelessness such that they feel dissuaded from trying to wake up the next morning, since it is a sign that they were relying on themselves, and not on Allah Most High as they should be.